101 in 1001
To celebrate Leap Year, I’m leaping into 101 in 1001 (give or take a few)*!!!
*While this started as a 101 in 1001 list, our new goal extends to “Before they head out to college.” I am excited at the goals I’ve set – some big, some small. They will guarantee that I still have a life outside of blogging, be present in my own town, help me teach my kids to have a sense of adventure, and to grow and challenge myself. If anyone wants to join me for any of these, virtually or in real-life, let me know! If anyone has any suggestions or contacts to help me reach my goals, I’d be very appreciative!
1 – 8: SEASON DEPENDENT
- Visit the Indiana Jones exhibit at Discovery Cube
- Take kids overnight trip skiing
- See the Glory of Christmas at the Crystal Cathedral – not sure what the future of this is – church splitting up!
- Go to Comic-Con – we’re starting with The Star Wars Celebration, April 2015!
- Attend the Manhattan Beach Open
- Visit 5 beaches in CA – all must be at least 150 miles from previous ones
- Play in the rain
- See snow in the mountain and walk on the beach in the same day
9 – 15: FOOD FOR THOUGHT
- Cook or Bake 1 new thing from each cookbook I own – 1 down, 14 to go
- Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Have a picnic somewhere we’ve never been before
- Have a rainbow meal – food representing all colors of rainbow
- Learn how to make sushi – Does Spam Musubi count? Same technique – all I need are fish, not a can?!
- Go to a restaurant solo (no iGadgets either) and order a full meal, appetizers to dessert and relish in it!
- Drink as much water as coffee for a week started with a whole month: September, 2014!
16 – 26: FAMILY FUN
- Take kids on trail ride
- See a Cirque Du Soleil show – 2/7/16 We saw Cavalia’s Odysseo (created by Cirque founder: Normand Latourelle)
- Do a 5K with both kids – Looking into possibility of Running LA Big 5K then cheering LA Marathoners the next day!
- Build a blanket fort and sleep in it
- Send a message in a bottle
- Solve Rubik’s Cube
- Go to a drive-in movie
- Eat to Blue Bayou at Disneyland
- Find perfect sand dollars
- Take kids to Vegas to see show (4/2015)
- Buy a Magic 8 ball and make all decisions for a weekend day based on what it tells me
27 – 34: SIMPLE QUIET TIME
- Read all the story books on my shelf plus at least 10 must be “classics”
- See Sunrise & Sunset in one day (Point Mugu, 11/9/13)
- Read or browse (if not interested in reading) the whole Sun. LA Times that Sun. morning
- Write my name in the sand
- Watch a film in Spanish with no subtitles
- Look through my hope chest of memories with my kids – March 10, 2012
- Use my cards to send notes to people “just because”
- Make a wish on 12:12am/pm on 12/12/12! – I hoped that the world would not end on 12/21/12 and what do you know, here we are! I also wished for a safe family cruise and we got back having the time of our lives!!
35 – 43: MAKE THE WORLD A PRETTIER PLACE
- Try glass blowing
- Pencil sketch something from nature
- Leave chalk messages for neighborhood
- Learn how to sew
- Turn kids’ old sports jerseys into pillow covers
- Complete Lauren’s ABC photo album
- Complete 1 more photo album
- Take a picture of the shape of every letter in the alphabet
- Draw self-portraits
44 – 51: JUST F*IN WRITE!
- Write a short story and submit for contest
- Haiku a week for Summer Break
- Write a detailed zombie apocalypse plan – found old term paper on Serpent and the Rainbow for reference
- Take a song-writing class
- Develop my blog – what is it’s purpose, what is my intent?
- Create a writing desk
- Answer the “50 questions that will free your mind”
- Learn 25 new things by hitting “random” on wikipedia.com (done 8/19/13) – write short story using 3 of them
52 – 54: SPORTSPICE
- Go to a rodeo
- See David Beckham play with Galaxy – Made verbal plans with neighbors to go!
- Watch an Ironman competition live
55 – 60: SORT IT OUT
- Limit myself to 1 junk drawer & 1 Misc. box
- Figure out shelving inside “Game cabinet” so not just 1 big pile
- Get rid of 101 of my things – my kids’ toys are safe
- Get all CDs on iPod and sell CDs
- Get all pictures on computer with backed up copies
- Sort all actual prints and get them in sequential order
61 – 72: TESTING MY BOUNDARIES
- Take dance lessons and let someone else lead
- Take a photography class
- Karaoke with a live band backing me
- Speed Dating event
- Buy a Groupon for something I’ve never done before
- Be in a flash mob
- Daughter’s thing for me to do: Swim with us in pool at Nani’s
- Son’s thing for me to do: He’s still thinking
- Do a voiceover job – free or paid
- Write a business plan
- Complete a “thing to do” that one of my blog readers suggests (Vote below in the comments!)
- Learn how to play guitar
73 – 76: MY REWARDS
- Buy something for myself off of Etsy
- Get a massage
- Get cruising bike for me
- Buy a chair like the ones I love from the Sheraton – Modern Wingback Chair
77 – 80: MY ROOTS
- Go to Korea with my kids
- Visit at least 5 different ethnic festivals (from countries represented in my family) & then the same week, cook a recipe from one of the countries
- Learn to make one Hungarian pastry or casserole from my Grandmother’s recipes
- Go to Korean Cultural Center in LA
81 – 93: WHERE I LIVE
- Take a historic walking tour of Los Angeles
- Get as close as possible to Hollywood Sign
- Go to a movie premier
- Go to Grammy Museum
- Buy Star Map, drive around oogling at homes
- Be a tv or movie extra or seat-filler
- Go to the Getty
- Visit Samuel French Bookstore
- Attend a TV Taping – preferably America’s Funniest Home Videos
- Hike Runyon or Topanga Canyon
- See a movie at the Cinerama – May 31, 2014: X-Men: Days of Future Past
- Visit the Tim Burton Exhibit – I missed it – it was gone before I made list. I have to come up with a replacement
MODIFIED: See Danny Elfman play his hits from Tim Burton and other great films!
- Watch local play or ballet – March 2, 2014: with Kids and Aunt Banana
94 – 97: PHILANTHROPY
- Do the MS Walk with Team Hope – 3/1 – Registered and officially FUNdraising! I’ve raised $40 so far!
- Build a Habitat for Humanity house
- Volunteer for Students Run LA either as SAG or running support
- Do Birthday Project this year – Announced May 31, 2014
98 – 101: DON’T WANT TO DO
- Don’t eat out for a week
- Don’t speak a single word for a day
- No Internet, Facebook, video games, no blog except to post for a weekend
- Don’t forget to make a new list at the end of the project!
Don’t forget to leave a comment with your suggestion of the activity I will have to do! I will randomly choose one and complete the activity in the next 1,001 days!
Thank you for wandering by!
*The list will take me longer than 1,001 thanks to a little 600 day distraction called Grad School